Tuesday, December 9, 2008

This week's catchy song (2)

Sometimes our present seems to suck so much that we appeal to memories from the past to try to feel better. Going to the past can be satisfying indeed. I think the trick is to use nostalgia carefully, in small amounts, so not to lose perspective. As an excercise with the past, during the last week I have analyzed U2's first album, 1980's Boy. I have to admit that I was reluctant at the beginning (as there's a lot of 'modern' music worth listening), but then my best friend's insistence finally convinced me. I thank him for pushing me into that album.

I have to admit that the only U2 albums I had carefully listened are rather recent: Pop, All That You Can't Leave Behind, and How to dismantle an Atomic Bomb. I guess that explains my surprise when listening Boy. The album is terrific. Now I understand why U2 fans complain about the kind of music they're doing these days. The attitude, the lyrics, the music, they are so different, so great. A notable aspect is the voice of Bono, as it sounds very different, somehow tougher. He was obviously a rebel teenager recording his first album.

Of all the great songs in Boy, my pick for this week's catchy song is the fantastic Another Time, Another Place. Awesome lyrics, great music. Enjoy!



Update (12/12/2008): Since some people can't see the video (which I find weird, as I still can see it), here's another video for the song, a live version. Please comment if you can't watch it.

2 comments:

Ebbe said...

"We're sorry, but this video is no longer available."

I don't think you meant for this to happen. If so, it is the lamest joke you've ever made. ;-)

Jorge said...

I just added another link. Hopefully this will be available.

And I don't do lame jokes, usually.