Wednesday, December 3, 2008

This week's catchy song (1)

A shameless initiative to draw your attention on this blog!

I have an advisory committee for this blog, which every once in a while gives suggestions and feedback on it. Recently, they have expressed their concern on the boring posts I've written; according to them, this has caused a sustained decrease on the number of visits. As a consequence, the incomes I get every month have also gone down (there's the risk the only money at my disposal will be that of the Italian scholarship). After a throughout study based on some fancy statistics and polls, the committee suggests a new direction for posts, based on the following: (i) a gradual reduction of political content; (ii) more emphasis on Italian absurdities (nobody cares about Colombia, or so they've said) and (iii) an additional effort to write shorter posts.

So today I am starting a new section, which shall be devoted to the music I am hearing during a given week. This an apolitical, economic approach: posts on music can be written (and read) very quickly. So the advisory committee should be happy.

The idea is to post a video or audio of the song that I consider most influential to my week. Yes, it's supposed to be a weekly section; this is a challenging thing, even if I am particularly proud of my taste for music and my ability to discover good music quickly.

This week's catchy song is Albert Hammond Jr.'s Victory at Monterey. Albert Hammond Jr. is the guitarist of The Strokes, a group I never found particularly appealing. He has two solo albums; the song in question appears in "¿Cómo te llama?", the latest one, released this year. The album is enjoyable, nothing particularly exciting. Here's a dull YouTube video with the song. Please do not look at the video, it's awful. Just hear the song. I love the bass.

1 comment:

Ebbe said...

You could have cut all the ramblings maintaining just the video. ;-)