Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This week's catchy song (8)

I never endorsed that habit of labeling music. I find it annoying to think of music as some sort of genealogical tree. It's simply too rough to attempt at classifying sounds and what they convey with fancy adjectives. That said, labels are sometimes useful as there are no better words to describe groups or songs. In that respect, looking at the music blogs I follow it turns out that most of them represent what some people call "indie". What "indie" is? How can something be classified as "indie"? Does it restrict itself to music? These are tough, profound questions, I am afraid. What I do know (and very well) is the music I like. And it can't be described with a couple of adjectives.

This week I offer you a truly catchy song, from an "indie" band, called MGMT (the artist formerly known as The Management). They released what some people call the best "indie" album of 2008, Oracular Spectacular. After hearing it a couple of times, one could say that they appeal to the 80s to get catchy. It's hard to analyze, anyway.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you Electric Feel:

No comments: